This year the 78th SAMA (South African Museum Association) National Conference was held in East London with the general theme of ,“Collections making Connections”.
The following awards were presented at the Conference:
- FitzSimons Award – awarded to the outright best paper presented by a SAMA member
- President’s Award – awarded to the best first time presentation by a SAMA member
- Novice Speaker’s Award – awarded to the best paper in the Novice Speaker category
- Publication Design Award – the aims of this award are to encourage and guide museums in producing quality publications and to give recognition to those museums that issue material of high standard. We entered The Helgaard Steyn Awards Catalogue in this category.
Two “Highly Commended” Certificates were awarded to entries in the Publication Design category that had the most appeal to their respective audiences as the judges found it impossible to declare an overall winner.
The judges of the Publication Design Award general comments:
Expressed great difficulty in judging such widely disparate entries each directed at different audiences: an exclusive exhibition catalogue, a natural science magazine, a staff newsletter, a poster presentation for an international ornithological conference, a suite of related pamphlets and a themed poster series produced as a travelling exhibition.
These certificates went to:
- La Motte Museum – The Helgaard Steyn Awards 1987-2013 exhibition catalogue
- Durban Natural Science Museum – Thola Vol 16 2013/14 (popular magazine).
Caption for featured image: Eliz-Marié Schoonbee with The Helgaard Steyn Awards catalogue and the SAMA certificate.