Sardine and Fennel Bruschetta with Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Garden Greens and Herbes de Provence Crust
Such a basic little dish - Sardines on Toast. All at once complexity of flavour and an easy, fragrant freshness. Just perfect with a fresh white such as the 2022 La Motte Sauvignon Blanc or an elegant rosé such as the 2022 Vin de Joie Rosé.
2 freshly picked fennel bulbs, sliced as thin as possible
4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
3T chopped fennel tops
1tsp coarse sea salt
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and place a round of greaseproof paper on the surface of the mixture and press down to remove all air.
- Heat until tiny bubbles appear and keep the heat as low as possible so it doesn't start frying, keep the heat for 35-50 minutes until the fennel is tender.
- Strain off the oil and flatten the fennel in a bowl and place the greaseproof paper on top so it stays moist, keep warm until needed.
4 medium heirloom tomatoes, blanched and skins removed
3T olive oil
½ tsp Herbes de Provence
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 140°
- Slice the tomatoes in half and gently coat with the remaining ingredients.
- Place on a tray line with greaseproof paper and load into the oven.
- Roast for 3-4 hours until caramelised and lightly shrivelled.
2 slices day old sourdough bread slices
2 garlic cloves
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup grated parmesan or pecorino
1T olive oil
¼ tsp salt
1T herbes de provence
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz into a crumb.
- Place on top of the tomatoes and place under a salamander or oven grill to crisp up before serving.
6-8 sardines, filleted and bones removed
4T olive oil
2T good quality balsamic vinegar
1T chopped thyme
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Place all the ingredients in a sealable jar and marinade overnight.
- Remove the sardine fillets from the marinade and pat dry.
- Heat a non stick pan and add 2tsp olive oil.
- Fry the sardines for 20 seconds on each side, turn up the heat to high and add 2T of the marinade, cook for 10 seconds to glaze. Serve immediately.
4 slices of day old sourdough
1T olive oil
½ cup freshly picked rocket
¼ cup freshly picked garden sorrel
¼ cup fennel leaves
- Rub the olive oil onto the sourdough and grill on both sides until golden and crisp.
- Top with the warm confit fennel, garden greens, sardines and crusted tomatoes, serve warm.