Parmesan gnocchi, curried butternut velouté, poached egg, thinly sliced coppa
Recipe: Chris Erasmus
An elegant dish that offers smooth comfort with beautiful layers of flavour. The 2022 La Motte Chardonnay is exactly what you need in your glass.
600g potato flesh, cooked and pressed through a sieve, keep warm
125g 00 flour
125g grated parmesan
2 egg yolks
1T chopped chives
- Mix all the ingredients while the potato is warm.
- Roll the dough onto a floured surface and cut into desired shapes.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook the gnocchi until it floats.
- Strain and dry off the gnocchi as much as you can.
- Heat a large non-stick pan and add 150g butter, brown the butter and add the gnocchi and 1tsp chopped thyme.
- Fry the gnocchi until golden brown and strain off the butter, keep the gnocchi warm until serving.
Curried butternut velouté
¼ cup olive oil
3 cups butternut, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped finely
1T ginger, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2T curry powder (to your taste)
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
½ cup coconut cream
2tsp chopped coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Place the butternut, olive oil, onion, garlic and ginger in a bowl and toss well, spread out on a roasting tray and roast in the oven until golden brown and soft.
- Place the butternut mix in a large saucepan and add the stock.
- Fit the lid on the pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and blend smooth, adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add the chopped coriander just before serving.
Do make use of this chef's trick...
Use a tall narrow pot – like the old pasta pots, the higher the better
1 - 2 cups strong vinegar – spirit vinegar works well
Maximum of 8 eggs at a time
Lemon sliced in half
- Fill the pot to just 2 cm under the rim with water and bring to a hard boil.
- Add the vinegar and bring back to a hard boil.
- Break the eggs into the boiling vinegar water and poach to desired temperature (hardness).
- The deep pot ensures that the eggs form a teardrop shape.
- If you are not using the eggs immediately remove gently with a slotted spoon and place in the ice water with the lemon to reheat later.
Spoon the hot velouté onto the base of your flat serving bowls, place the warm crispy gnocchi on top, place the egg in the middle and top with Coppa ham.
Garnish with garlic chips and wild herbs.