Butter and Almond Roasted Cauliflower Steak, Babaganoush Puree, Horseradish Yoghurt, Home-made Sprouts
Recipe: Chris Erasmus
A vegetarian dish with so much complexity, texture and flavour, it needs a wine that matches its intricacy! Enjoy with a delicious glass of 2019 La Motte Cabernet Sauvignon.
1 whole cauliflower
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup flaked almonds
- Slice the cauliflower in half from top to bottom and trim off the edges to form 2 steaks.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add the butter, wait for the butter to brown.
- Season the cauliflower and roast in the brown butter, over medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes, don’t turn before it has caramelised.
- Add the almonds and turn the cauliflower over, cook over low heat until cooked to desired softness, careful not to burn the almonds.
- Drain on paper towel and keep warm, spoon the almonds over the cauliflower.
Serves 6 - 8
1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups diced aubergine
1T chopped garlic
1T chopped ginger
1/2 red chilli, chopped
1tsp curry powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp salt
1tsp yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cups brown sugar
½ cup white wine vinegar
1T preserved lemon or tamarind paste
- Heat the oil in a large pot, very hot, and fry the aubergine for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chili and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until thick and fragrant.
- Either keep chunky or blend smooth for puree.
Serves 2 - 4
¼ cup freshly grated horseradish (microplane)
½ cup double thick organic yoghurt
1tsp lime zest
1tsp lime juice
Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients gently, do not overwork the yoghurt it will become runny and refrigerate until needed.
- Spoon over the warm cauliflower just before serving.
Serves 4 - 6
½ cup lentils, dried
½ cup mung beans, dried
2 sterilised 1-litre glass jars
2 pieces of muslin cloth (or any clean cloth)
Butchers string or elastic bands
- Place the lentils and beans in separate jars and fill to the top with clean, filtered water.
- Leave to soak overnight, rinse well the next day and strain off the water, do not dry them keep moist.
- Tie the cloth over the mouths of the jars and turn upside down at 45°
- Rinse the sprouts every 4 hours and repeat the process for 12 hours.
- Leave to drain and sprout, this should take 2 days at room temperature.
- Keep in an airtight container and refrigerate.